Friday, February 13, 2009

The Finished Flyer

Thanks for all the kind comments on here and TMP regarding the Polikarpov I-16 conversion!

I thought I would post some final pics of the painted model and briefly describe the process of painting it.

The whole model was first primed with cheap black spraypaint - the cheapest I could find (that still has "fast-drying" in the description, as I am an impatient hobbyist)

The top surfaces were basecoated with Citadel Catachan Green and panels highlighted with a mix of Catachan Green and Camo Green. The red nose ring and rocket warheads were painted Citadel Mechrite Red from their Foundation range. All of these paints are highly pigmented and cover extremely well.

The underside surfaces were painted Citadel Ultramarines Blue and panels highlighted with Citadel Shadow Grey.

The metal parts were painted Citadel Boltgun Metal and washed with Citadel Badab Black, and a Botgun metal drybrush applied. Black craft paint was drybrushed along the fuselage bottom to simulate the effect of the jet wash.

After painting the colours, I went around and added paint chips to panel edges and wear spots with Citadel Boltgun metal and a spotter brush. (Most all of the panel highlighting was done with a no.2 "Filbert" brush which I tend to use alot).

The last step was to affix the canopy with white (PVA) glue, to avoid fogging the clear plastic with cyanoacrylate fumes. The (twenty-year-old) kit decals were applied and I although I used Microsol to set them, some silvering is evident, and I think I'll touch that up with some paint.

All in all, this was a really fun project from start to finish and I hope you enjoy the pictures. Cheers!

No comments: