Kingdom Death Dung Beetle Knight
This was a piece I have wanted to paint for a long while but wasn't quiet sure how to go about it. I wanted it to have an iridescent look like some insects have, but wasn't sure how to do it. I decided to give the Forge World transparent airbrush paints a shot and am pretty happy with the results.
I painted the whole model silver, then clear coated it and did a pin wash with black oil paint to get all the crevasses black, then wiped up the model with white spirits so that there was no black outside the recesses and clear coated it again. I then airbrushed on some clear green over the silver and then yellow at the highest points. I then hit the wings with some purples and greens to give a shimmer to them.
The "fur" type areas and everything else were done with my normal painting methods as this piece was just to play with that clear metallic look, which I think came out pretty well, especially in person.
Arena Rex Beast Master
Arena Rex Beast Master
This model is another great Arena Rex figure that has so much character. Not really much new tried here other than some blending to get the transition on the hyena right. I had a lot of fun with this one though. Same NMM as on the other Arena Rex gladiator I did previously.
His tartan was fun to do, but not super clean, the lines are not all completely even. Freehand is something I will have to work on sometime soon as well.
Ultramarine Space Marine
This figure was done to play more with glazes. He was painted with a black base colour and then zenithal highlighted with grey and white with an airbrush. Then the blue on him is a single shade of blue glazed over in thin coats, then glazed over again with an off-white mixed in for the highlights.
While I have glazed before, I wanted to do a test piece with the simplest colour to do (blue) to play around with what results I could get.
Since I was spending some time on him, I also decided to do NMM for the shoulder pad and chest, but used normal metallic paint for his shoulder pad trim and the teeth on his sword.
I then weathered him up with chipping and scratches and then attached him to the base.
Looking at him now, I may need to go back and transition the caution stripes to fit the rest of the transitions, but you don't really notice that in person it's only the camera that catches it.
Death Guard Knight
Last up is a piece I have wanted to do for a long time and just never have gotten around to. It was another chance to work even more on my weathering and rust effects, this time adding the cool new AK Oilbrushers product to the mix.
I wasn't really sure how to go about painting or converting this model as ideally I wanted it usable in both my 30k and 40k Death Guard armies. I decided in the end that since Knights would generally be by house and not legion that I could get away with a lot, so went with a look similar to my 30k force which is old and weathered, since I am going for a look of the guys that followed Garro and had to weather the bombardment of Istavan IV.
I started by painting the whole model black, but leaving all the armour plates off. I then painted the armour plates in various shades or brown, red, and oranges with the airbrush. I kept the paint thick and the air pressure super low so that it splattered on in random patches, and kept layering in colours. Once that was done I put on AK chipping and scratch solutions in various areas, and then painted on the bone and green colours. Once that was all done the magic begins. I spray the paint with water and then start brushing it, and it just starts pealing off randomly, revealing the under colour.
Once all the chipping was done, it was time to break our the AK Oilbrushers (pre-thinned oil paints in mascara type bottles) and use them to apply dots of colour to the chips. I then used white spirits to pull that down into smooth rust and dirt streaks.
The entire mechanical skeletal parts were done black, then shaded up with 3 silver colours, and then treated to the same Oilbrusher treatment. I put browns, oranges, and even yellows in to get the blends looking like rust. I may go back and add even more.
Last up was "blueing" the barrels which I did mainly with the Forge World transparent airbrush paints I got for the Dung Beetle Knight from earlier. I started with doing 1/2 the barrel copper (Vallejo) and then did purple over most of that, then blue over part of the purple, and then black over the very end. I think it came out ok and looks close to realistic.
Onto other projects now...
So there you have it, 4 recent painting projects with 4 fairly different styles. I am now moving onto a few new projects including even more different looks. Currently on the painting table are some heavily converted Death Guard vehicles (with even more spikes, tentacles, pus, and skulls, because I know how Greg loves all that stuff on GW models), some alternate Sisters of Battle figures, another Arena Rex figure or two, and some modern stuff from Spectre.
OH, and a pile of terrain that I need to paint up as demo pieces now that I am producing that again as well!