Saturday, May 6, 2023

Sisters of Battle Penitent Engines, Seraphim, and Terrain Tuneup!

The Adepta Sororitas mania continues at Conscript Towers with some more models completed for the Sisters army. Tonight I'm posting the Seraphim squad and a couple of Penitent Engines.

First - a word of apology. I've been telling everyone that this Sisters army would be all-metal and all-'90s models, but as GW fans can see, this is a lie. I love the whole backstory of the "Penitent Engine" (non-believers/heretics/traitors surgically attached to a war machine, pumped full of drugs and set loose to wreak havoc) - kind of like a Space Marine Dreadnought only... less life-affirming. So I wanted a couple of these for my Sisters army, for sure. The problem is that the old metal Engines are hard to find complete, and when you do, they're ridiculously expensive. The capper is from all I've read, they're a living nightmare to assemble, too. 

Solution - press pause on the "all-metal" rule and allow a couple of modern plastic Penitent Engine kits into the army. I'm glad I did, because these models are just awesome. Not only do you get two Engines, there's a bunch of spare parts included in the kit that will come in very handy for some scatter terrain projects! 

The detail on these are great, and they were easy to assemble too.

I put together both as traditionally armed Penitent Engines, mainly as a tribute to the old-school feel of the rest of the army. You get one female and one male Penitent "pilot", and the only knock I have on these kits is that the facial detail is somewhat soft. But oh well, these folks are literally being tortured so...



Next up, we have a Seraphim squad. These were also really fun to paint.

Somewhat unusually, these models have retained their original thin metal "flying bases". Not surprising that most examples you find have these broken off. Most of the models are over 25 years old after all.

One of my favourite-ever Sisters of Battle - the Seraphim Sister Superior. What a great sculpt! 

Shot showing their jump packs to advantage. I have five more of these to paint, which will fill out the squad nicely. I also came across a few extras which I've converted, but that's a post for another day.

Lastly, I wanted to show what I did to tune up some old terrain. Anybody recognize these? Yes, it's the ancient "Ruined Cathedral" from Grendel. Originally these pieces had plain inner walls that always bugged me. Then an idea occurred to me to spiff them up a bit.

Basically I just went online, found a suitable image of a stone wall, printed it out, cut it into random shapes, and white-glued the shapes onto the plain inner walls of the terrain pieces.

Now it looks like the plaster has worn off and broken, revealing the stone walls.

Not bad for a minimum of work. Looking forward to getting this piece on the table with the Sisters!

Original box too - this has to be one of the first-ever terrain pieces I ever bought and painted. Must be 25 years ago or more. Note how all the pieces are turned inwards to hide those plain inner walls!

Till next time!
 

4 comments:

Neil Scott said...

Superbly done and the stonework on the cathedral is very effective

Codsticker said...

Love the engines and nice tune up on the cathedral.

MFraser said...

Can't they just pray the rosary! Very nice job on the engines. They're horrifying!

Greg B said...

Great job as usual Dallas. Those "Penitent Engines" are fantastic - I mean, why didn't they just pay the fine for the overdue library file? Oh well...their penance shall set a proper example for other citizens of the Imperium!

Quite clever with the terrain too - and how cool to finally dust off a 25-year-old purchase? Great stuff.