Friday, May 12, 2023

Scinari Calligrave for Lumineth Realm Lords

A Scinari Calligrave from the Lumineth Realm Lord faction in GW's "Age of Sigmar" universe.

Was the Lumineth Realm Lord project "finished"? Did I say or type those words? I should clarify that here I mean "finished" in the sense that it was time to move on to one of my many other many hobby obsessions, as opposed to the idea that I would just simply be completely done with a project or collection (which just never happens). In that sense, the Lumineth seemed finished. I mean, I had painted all of the the elements of an army box. The Vanari Lord Regent being the last figure from that effort. I had also added extra character already, you know, just to round things out. So, "finished", yes.

But then I spotted this whacky figure, and I thought I needed to do just one more character for the Lumineth...this is a Scinari Calligrave, a multi-part plastic 28mm figure from GW's "Age of Sigmar" range.

In terms of the lore and background of the Lumineth, I am way out over my skis. I have been putting in time painting figures, but have not read or learned a whole lot about the Lumineth as a faction, beyond the surface background you get from blurbs on the GW website or product box. The Lumineth, to me, are very much "not-high-elves", and to me that implies prowess in battle, but also a reliance on magic when it comes to battlefield encounters. So that means magic users are a good thing. This fellow is a magic-user, and so I thought it would be a good one to paint. 

He paints stuff too!

But not only that...the figure is, well, he paints too! I think he actually paints runes, which have magical effects because elves. The website blurb describes him as an "esoteric symbol-mage". Not sure how that works, but it seems to require painting stuff, so I enjoy that at a meta level :)

He doesn't actually have a lamp for a head...I was just trying to get a view of the rune he was painting up here, presumably to unleash so manner of magical effect on the battlefield!

Apparently this magic effect also requires special pseudo-stilt shoes... "long daethar shoes" or something. Seems like the kind of thing that a high-street retailer would charge extra money to get. Heck, leave out the magic effects, and there are still some metropolitan types I know of who would buy shoes like this for a night out on the town!

I wonder if he needs to use "Contrast" paints to get the magic to work...

Anyway, this was a fun figure to paint. Like all of the Lumineth figures I have worked on so far, I am impressed with all of the details on the Age of Sigmar figures. Many of them are just small enough to be subtle, but are still large enough to encourage to try to bring them out - that is a just-right combo when in comes to sculpting and designing figures in my books, so well done with these.

Ok, so that probably is it for the Lumineth, at least for a while, as my brushes have, in fact, moved back toward other painting subjects. But I hope to get this fellow and his colleagues on to a gaming table of some kind later this month, so stay tuned for more on that. Thanks for visiting, and have a great day!

No comments: