Thursday, January 7, 2016

Painting Challenge Theme Submission - "Nostalgia"

Rogue-Trader era members of the "Imperial Army"
Curt's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge features a very, very wide variety of participants and painting submissions.  To spice things up, Curt has also set up some "Theme Rounds", where the participants are encouraged to submit something in line with a particular theme.  You score a few bonus points, and the submissions are pretty interesting - and participants have in the past made some pretty liberal interpretations of the themes in question (a particular spider will live in infamy, but I digress...)

I have mostly ignored these Theme Rounds, not because they are bad, but because I am bad at being ready for them, and efforts on my part to try and prepare just derail what I was already trying to work on.  Best to ignore the trouble...but the first round up this year was "Nostalgia", and I had two figures that fit perfectly...
Proper lead figures, the way wargames figures are SUPPOSED to be made...
I'm in a big sci-fi groove (or "rut", perhaps) and with that in mind, "Nostalgia", to me, brings to mind Rogue Trader.  This theme rounds was a great chance to paint a couple more old timey Imperial troops for my Rogue Trader-era Imperial Guard. Or, more correctly, "Imperial Army".

Love that old flak armour...
The fellow with the "non-regulation" hair is "Trooper Brock", first seen in 1988(!).  He is carrying an autogun, the assault rifle of choice in the 40th millenium. 

The other fellow is a gun crew commander, seen with Thudd Guns, Rapiers, Mole Mortars etc.  Same era - 1988.

"Welcome to the Imperial Guard, dude..."
Both sport the distinctive "Imperial Army" flak armour of the old, early Rogue Trader era.  They were fun to paint, and should fit in well with the RT-era gang.  Although Brock is going to stand out from his more regulation oriented colleagues...at least he still has his helmet handy in case the Commissars show up...

The next theme round is "Epic Fail" - sounds perfectly named for my theme round efforts...we'll see if I manage anything for it...

4 comments:

James Martin said...

Love 'em! I had Brock.. many years ago..

Been meaning to ask, how do you do your bases, with those little tufts of grass?

Millsy said...

One of my favourite entries. You got my vote!

MIK said...

Brilliant stuff, these figs still hold their own after all these years too! Nice work!

Greg B said...

Thanks guys! Martin - the grass tufts are from Tajima - the best I have ever seen or worked with. They have a fabulous selection, and I recommend them highly!

http://www.tajima1.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=282517