Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Another Squad of Silver Stars

A squad of Silver Star Marines, wearing Mark III power armour.

As winter arrives, I have been working on a new project - The War of The False Primarch. This project, like all of the others, starts small in my mind - "hey, I'll just paint a Kill Team" - and then from there, just a little bit larger - "hey, a second squad would be fun". Here in this post are photos of this second step - a 10-man squad of Silver Star Space Marines wearing Mark III power armour, mysterious followers of the mysterious returned true Son of the Emperor. These figures combine legs and torsos from Tortuga Gamestable with components and bits from GW Mark III kits, as well as a few Forge World accessories. There are also a number of decals, courtesy of a great community member who printed them up and shipped them to me!

Sergeant with plasma pistol, and thunder hammer - to really give it to someone...

Selection of marines...love that classic "Shark Fin" style missile launcher from Forge World - still makes me think of the old RTB 01 kits.

I love painting Space Marines, and particularly enjoy painting Horus-Heresy-era armour kits - with the Mark III probably being my absolute favourite - and so far, the pictures of Silver Star Marines I had seen online had been wearing Mark II armour, so it was fun to work these fellows up. I love the colour scheme of these Marines - devised by the incredible Rubricist - and I think it looks even sharper on the Mark III armour :-)

Some more of the Marines - I love the torso/leg poses from Tortuga Gamestable.

The Tortuga Gamestable core kits are just excellent - I really love the poses, a lot, and I thought setting of The War of The False Primarch would be an ideal setting to paint up these kits - a small force that will be fun to work up, and hopefully use in a game at some point, but also be fun to share online and have in the collection. 

Another assortment of squad members - and I am so thankful for the decals!

I designed this group to be a basic, classic 10-man tactical squad. The officer has a special weapon and a close combat weapon. There is support - one marine sporting a missile launcher (in this case, a Forge World "shark fin" launcher), another marine with a plasma gun - and a marine with a communication set up on his power pack.

Ready to deploy for the Partisan cause!

With this squad, we move up from a Kill Team toward the beginning of a small force (something like 25 PL) to play a "combat patrol" in 40k. You know, still a "small force", but just a "few more elements" LOL. Stay tuned, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Dallas said...

Great looking squad dude. Really nice weathering on the white armour.