Monday, December 27, 2021

A Couple Of 40k Captains

Space Marine Captain from the GW "Indomitus" box set - there is a lot going on with that shield...

Christmas has come and gone and 2022 approaches - I need to cram a few more posts on to the Blog in order to a) make a push to increase the post count and b) clear the decks for the material that will be submitted to the 12th edition of Curt's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. In this post, we have some more figures I have been painting up for my 40k Raven Guard force - two different "Primaris" Captain figures, painted up for my Raven Guard.

That shield is wild...I didn't do a great job, but passable on it. It is so whacky...I just love it. 

Up first, we have another figure from the "Indomitus" box set. This Captain figure, to me, very much captures the sort of whacky affection that must have inspired the designer who came up with the Space Marine figures in that set. Not only is he a big, scary armoured Space Marine, but he has a huge sword, all sorts of flash and flare on his armour, and then there is the shield!

Not everything will be sword work...there is a heavy bolt pistol in that holster for close-range gun fights.

The Space Marines are often inspired by martyred predecessors in their Chapter. But why settle for a story, when you can just bring the martyr with you? Look at this whacky shield! Such an entertaining tribute to the Space Marine penchant for bones and other morbidly fatalistic iconography. 

Building on this whacky shield is the air of repose. This officer is between scraps, resting on his shield, like it is all just another day at the office. Because it is, right? The actual version of this figure comes with a helmeted head with the visor raised, to complete the effect, and to make it even more pronounced, there are terrain bits of wrecked neurone warriors you can add to the base. 

For my part, I like the officers in my 40k Raven Guard to sport "beakie" style helmets, so I popped one on to this fellow. But I have to hand it to GW, the Marine figures in that "Indomitus" box set are just a ton of fun to paint.

This guy turned out pretty well, but check the seam on his cloak by the left elbow...dammit...

Up next, we have a Space Marine Captain wearing "heavier" heavy armour - I think it is called "Gravis". He is also carrying a heavy bolt rifle - which is like a bolt rifle, but heavier. And of course he has the obligatory huge sword, and fancy cape to wear around on the battlefield - as one does in the 41st millennium. 

I like to include small shout-outs to the 30k-era Raven Guard on the 40k models - in this case, some XIX decals on the cloak.

There was a slight screw up in the assembly of this captain, as I managed to somehow leave a seam on the back of his cloak under the shoulder...idiotic on my part. I thought paint would cover for it, and I was too lazy to resort to green stuff...oh well...if this figure ever achieves something on the gaming table, I'll patch that over with a couple of purity seals or something.

Big gun, big sword, big armour...all set for 40k!

These are big models, lots of character and lots of fun to paint. Overall, I think the version with the big shield is a much more useful figure in the 9th edition of the 40k game, which is essentially a giant brawl on the table. In most games, heavy rifles are of limited use, while huge swords and shields will come in handy as your Marines are swarmed under by whatever they are up against. 

I hope to cram a few more posts in before the calendar turns over - but stay tuned for more from the "Indomitus" box, and from the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge! 

No comments: