Saturday, March 23, 2024

Painting Challenge Submission #10 - Afghan Regulars for Second Anglo-Afghan War

Afghan Regulars in 28mm for the Second Anglo-Afghan War; 28mm figures from Perry Miniatures.

The 14th edition of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge has concluded. This edition of the Challenge was not a great one for me in terms of painting output. Moving to a new house during the Challenge period completely blew up my plans, and in the end I barely made it past the half-way point of the goals I had set forth at the outset. In particular, my plans to paint a Dogs of War army for Warhammer Fantasy were a complete fail - my brushes never touched them, and the models remain ensconced in a storage container of the basement at my new house. Oh well. I still got some stuff painted, and I'll have the last couple of submissions posted over the next few days. Here is one of them.

My tenth submission to the Challenge saw me going back to a historical subject - more troops for my Second Anglo-Afghan War project. Here we have a unit of Afghan Regulars for the period. These are 28mm metal figures from Perry Miniatures. They will join with the Tribal warriors painted earlier in this edition of the Challenge to represent an infantry unit for the Osprey game "The Men Who Would Be Kings". 

Making ready for a firefight!

Information about the uniforms of Afghan regulars in this setting is kind of spotty, and to the extent it is available, the consistent theme is a certain inconsistency in the reports...so I took some basics and just sort of improvised. I thought the red coats with yellow facings would make for a nice splash of colour, and an ideal combo to engage with the troops of the British Empire.

Officer and musician...had no idea what colours to use for the drum, so I just improvised with some green!

As always, the Perry Miniatures sculpts are top shelf, and it is a joy to paint proper metal figures. Trimming the flash is always a chore, and can be a particular issue with these Perry castings, but in general these are just a treat to work with.

These fellows are ready to skirmish!

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for a few more posts from the other Challenge participants, and I hope everyone can keep up the happy painting!

3 comments:

Neil Scott said...

Nicely done

Codsticker said...

Wonderful paint job.

Dallas said...

These look great dude! Perry models are always top notch and you've done em justice with your painting!