Monday, June 12, 2023

Cleanse It With Fire! Sisters of Battle Immolator

More Sisters madness! This time it's the classic Immolator, based on the MK1 Rhino chassis.

I'd made a deal a few weeks ago to pick up a job lot of Sisters, including the full set of metal conversion parts for the MKI Immolator. Unfortunately these had all been stuck onto a MKIIb Rhino chassis. But no worries, I tore off all the metal bits, cleaned 'em up and restored the MKIIb with spare parts I had around. Now I was in need of an unbuilt MKI Rhino chassis... 

Ebay to the rescue as usual - they have everything you need, but you pay for it. A clean unbuilt MKI Rhino kit was mine for a mere $100CAD. Seems like a lot but when you think of what new GW vehicle kits cost (never mind the $320USD some dude on eBay wants for his boxed Immolator), it puts it into perspective.

Anyway, I had cleaned the paint off the metal Immolator bits and proceeded to stick them on my new MKI Rhino kit. It assembled very smoothly, with the exception of a small gap I had to fill with a slice of plasticard. It's in the pic above but not that noticeable.

The Sister gunner is just awesome, I love her goggles.

Had to add a couple purity seals from Chaostemple.cz and some leftovers from the Penitent Engines build. 

Now is that old-school GW goodness or what??

Freehanded the aerial recognition Sororitas fleur-de-lys as usual. The stowage is a metal piece from the bits box. With all the metal conversion parts and some bolts inside the chassis to balance it out, this thing weighs a ton... 

Paint was applied in a pretty clean old-school style - no extreme weathering or sponge chipping here. Panel highlights are Vallejo Dark Rubber, edge highlights Celestra Grey, exhaust shielding Brass Scorpion washed Agrax, exhaust tips Leadbelcher/Doombull/Rust Effect, metalwork Leadbelcher washed Nuln Oil, fleurs are Mechanicus Standard Grey/Celestra Grey/white. Some dirt drybrushed on the lower hull in tones lightening to Steel Legion Drab. All very standard for my Sisters vehicles. 
 

I still have two Rhinos to paint but those will be easy, and I am waiting for some conversion parts for them anyway, so next up will be more infantry - a Sisters squad I think, with a couple surprises mixed in.

So until next time, may the light of the Emperor shine upon you!

3 comments:

Greg B said...

Fantastic work on this kit Dallas. Glad the turret operator has the requisite safety goggles - after all, purifying the area should be done not only with complete faith, but with total safety too...

Dallas said...

Work shouldn’t hurt!

Muskie said...

People always shit on eBay, but most of my deals have gone fine. And I can buy just the bit I want. There are some bit stores too, but yeah I've bought lots of bits and OOP models on eBay, everyone else can stumble across a car boot full of Rogue Trader era metal guardsmen or whatever, but I have limited time. I still like the old models and if you've never painted them or you've painted one, unlike second edition era where you painted the same model over and over, they look good and I personally want to lower my painting standard. I can still paint, but not as well as 10-20 years ago, but I still need to crank out a few new models to make my army legal and more effective in 10th Edition.