Thursday, July 14, 2022

Ral, Lord of the Balrogs/Fire Demons

So for some time now, I've been wanting to add a Balrog to my model collection, the idea being that we could then play the "Bridge of Khazad Dum" scenario from the Fellowship of the Ring book. The GW Balrog is "OK" but I always balked a bit at the price for a (now) plastic model, and to be honest it's a bit... boring to look at. So I looked around for an alternative.

And here one is - Tom Meier's magnificent "Ral, Lord of the Balrogs" sculpted for Ral Partha. This was originally packaged as a "10th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" box set. I got mine newly-cast from Fantization Miniatures, it's part of their Iron Wind Metals - Ral Partha Classics offering. Of course the original "Lord of the Balrogs" moniker had to be dropped when (presumably) Tolkien's IP owners took exception. He then became known as the Lord of the "Fire Demons". OK.

The model is obviously awesome. It's composed of only four metal parts - the Balrog's body, the two wings, and his upper jaw. Prep and assembly took very little time - just some greenstuff work required to fill gaps around the wings and head, and some minor sculpting on the sides of the scale loincloth. I saw that on the Internet somewhere.

Then it was on to the painting... the wings I did in the same style as on my Fellbeast - drybrushed grey and washed multiple times with Reikland Fleshshade.

I really had some fun painting this model. I decided the skin would be grey, so I just worked that up in highlights. The flames were a lot of fun to paint too - and easy.

I just worked my way up from dark red to yellow - Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, Blood Orange (this was a REALLY old Citadel colour), Yriel Yellow.

Can't have a Balrog without a flaming sword!

Of course all that remains is a pose-off with Gandalf! (Well, it's good for showing the size of the model too I guess)

Not nearly as big as the new plastic Balrog but imposing nonetheless. He kind of brings that Ralph Bakshi/old school flavour doesn't he?

So that dude's done and living up in the LotR cabinet now. Next thing will be to scratch out some terrain for that Khazad-Dum game and get that going. 

3 comments:

daveb said...

Very cool mini. Glad you shared it. I really like the dark colour palette...it helps the flames to pop more.

James Martin said...

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS" - had to be done ;-) Great work

Greg B said...

This is fantastic Dallas, well done.