Monday, February 6, 2023

1:50 Sdkfz 7 Prime Mover

The subject here is this 1:50 Sdkfz. 7 prime mover, submitted for the "Historical Drama" studio of the Challenge. Suits the studio of course because it's a model to be used in an historical game.

This model was originally a prepainted diecast from Corgi. I thought when I bought this model that it could enter service with my Afrika Korps force as-is, but I really wasn't feeling the paint job... that's OK, they're easy enough to repaint.

After masking off the windshield with tape, I primed the model black and painted the metalwork with Zandri Dust, washed with Agrax Earthshade. The interior is Mechanicus Standard Grey highlighted with Dawnstone and lightly washed with Nuln Oil. The upholstery and top are Mournfang Brown highlighted Steel Legion Drab. 

As was typical on DAK vehicles, a small spot was left in original Panzer Grey and the DAK insignia applied (you'll see another such spot on the front offside fender). The paintwork was sponge-chipped with Vallejo German Camo Black Brown.

Of course I added a bunch of stowage from Value Gear. I've almost exhausted my stock of that so will soon need to order more. The stowage really adds a lot to this DAK model.

Here's a better view of the DAK insignia and number plate.

I thought I would include a pic of the 8-ton prime mover in its natural environment - they were often used as tow vehicles for the 88mm Flak 36. Painting this prime mover also motivated me to repaint the 88 - I lightened the colour somewhat as the original colour I painted it was kind of dark. 

Painting this Sdkfz. 7 has prompted me to place another order with Perry Miniatures for some crew and passengers to use with this vehicle. You're welcome, Perry twins :-)

Hoping to get this model onto the table soon!

1 comment:

Greg B said...

Great work on this Dallas! Your WW2 desert stuff is top shelf, great project.