Saturday, April 27, 2024

Some Legions Imperialis Loyalists

A brewing little "demi company" formation for the Imperial Fists in Legions Imperialis.

"Legions Imperialis", GW's (much-delayed) reboot of the classic Epic game, has been out for months now - and I haven't even tried the game yet! There are reasons for this, most of which I can't control. For one, it is very, very challenging to acquire the models. For another, the order in which GW is choosing to release these models is, at best, perplexing - the Solar Auxilia, for example, still do not have the troop-carrying models (unless you count those stupid little Arvus Lighters - and I don't). But there is another block - not having the stuff painted - and that is not on GW, that's on me! I did a few bits for the Sons of Horus, during the most recent edition of the Painting Challenge, but there are no opponents on my shelves. Time to change that! We get a bit of progress to share here, with this small batch of Loyalist Space Marines painted in the colours of the VII Legion Astartes, the Imperial Fists. 

To get a force on to the table, I need to get a legal "formation" together, and the most basic and flexible one for the Space Marines is the "Demi Company". We have some (but not all) of the basic elements for such a formation here - an HQ stand, a tactical detachment and a light armour detachment, with Rhino APCs to provide a lift for the infantry. 

A Space Marine HQ stand - and a ride for the boss!

The HQ element is just a single stand (if dramatic). The GW sculptors have faithfully recreated all of the favourite Space Marine HQ figures - the Praetor, the banner, the medic, and a couple of "veteran" marines with bolters. I don't know that this one stand will do much in a game, but you need to have one - and it is fun to try and paint all of these little characters.

The basic tactical detachment, with a pair of Rhino APCs for a ride.

The basic tactical detachment is comprised of the four infantry stands. Various elements can be added to beef it up, but the little group of 20 tactical marines is the core element. I'll need another one of these to round out the formation - especially as, by all accounts, stuff dies in piles really fast in this game - but at least the first one is done!

Tactical chaps with their ride...

The Rhinos will be key to get these little chaps around the table - and of course, they are iconic bits of kit! Unfortunately, they are very difficult to come by in any reliable fashion. I am rationing the ones I was able to score between the Sons of Horus and the Imperial Fists I am working to paint up, and keeping my eyes peeled for more boxes of them. I should note that I don't necessarily think I you will need tons of the things, but I want some bulky infantry detachments, and Rhinos to transport them. 

The battle-taxi of the Horus Heresy battlefied...

(Product note - of course, you can also use the Land Raiders and Spartans to transport the Marines, but the rules for those vehicles were not in the main rule book...they are in "the Great Slaughter"; I'm sure it's not hard to track even scans or details down, but FFS GW, why do you have to be absolute twats about this kind of thing? It certainly points to what a f*cked up set-up that surely exists in that Company...)

Predator light-armour detachment. 

These models have fiddly bits...but wow, these kits really are something.

Then we have three Predators, classic bits of light armour for the Space Marines. You have choice of weapons on these vehicles (the kits are tricky with small, fiddly bits, but wow, they are remarkable) - and it should be noted you get a double dose of turrets, so you can swap those out if you like! I opted to build two of the tanks with an AT weapon loadout (all lascannons), and a single tank with the classic auto-cannon/heavy bolter sponson loadout. 

That's all for now - but stay tuned for more, including (hopefully) more progress on Legions Imperialis models, as I really can't wait to try this game! 

2 comments:

Suber said...

I'm in love with these, they look terrific!

Dallas said...

These look great, nice work!