Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Blitzkrieg Miniatures 1/48 DAK Pzkpfw. III(F)

Although I already have a couple Pzkpfw.IVs for my Afrika Korps force, you can never have enough tanks, right? And since I was missing the real workhorse of the DAK - the Pzkpfw.III - it was a must to pick one up. So I ordered one from Blitzkrieg Miniatures in the UK, a manufacturer I'd heard lots about but had never dealt with.

So here's the result - one Pzkpfw.III Ausf. F with which I'm very pleased. The package arrived from the UK quite promptly, albeit one model short (a Grant for the 8th Army), but Paul of Blitzkrieg has assured me it's now en route. The really good thing about ordering direct is that shipping is a flat 8.99GBP, and that is a deal nowadays.
 
The model is really superb and comes in correct 1/48 scale, and even included cast-on stowage on the rear deck. In fact I was surprised at the lack of assembly required - the tracks and hull are one piece of resin, the turret another, and the only assembly required is to add the main gun, hull MG and hatch. The detail on the piece is actually pretty remarkable given the lack of parts to assemble.

Of course, the model comes without decals, so I added my own from the folder - the DAK insignia is from Warlord's Bolt Action range, I think it came on a sheet that was included with a 1/56 (choke) vehicle I bought from them. The model was painted to match my other DAK tanks - it was a bit tricky to get a good colour match but it came good in the end.

I just love this big number on the back of the turret!

Verdict on Blitzkrieg Miniatures vehicles? Highly recommended - they're well detailed and require minimal (and I mean MINIMAL) assembly. Plus shipping is reasonable. I have a Stuart Honey to paint for the 8th Army as well as the Grant when it arrives, so you'll soon see more of these great models on this blog for sure.

Oh and one last thing... heia Safari!

3 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

What a great looking tank, nice work Dallas.

Greg B said...

That looks fantastic Dallas, well done. Looking forward to trying some of these Blitzkrieg models myself!

MFraser said...

Very nice work. The weathering looks great!