Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Painting Challenge Submission 14 - Warmaster Orcs!

Ready for war! 10mm Orcs for "Warmaster" - GW metal castings.

This submission to Curt's "Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge" carries, for me, a huge dose of nostalgia - here is a force of Orcs for GW's "Warmaster". These figures are all metal castings from GW - in my opinion, some of the best metal fantasy castings ever done by GW, or done by anyone. I don't want to bore you with the long story of gradually acquiring these OOP figures over many years, keeping them as part of my Smaug-like hobby horde...but The Painting Challenge smiles upon long-unpainted figures, and for the 12th edition of the Painting Challenge, I felt it was finally time to open these packs and get paint on these Orcs!

I find I can't quite throw these away...that is probably a bad sign...

There are three units of Orc boyz, two units of Goblins, a unit of Orc boar riders, a unit of Goblin wolf chariots, along with a couple of character bases - and to cap things off, a Giant! Enough to cause plenty of trouble on a raid out of the mountains and into The Empire! 

Three Regiments of Orc boyz! The core of the army.

Beautiful castings.

So many small details...really tried to capture it...

"Warmaster" is, flat out, one of the best rule sets GW has ever produced - indeed, one of the best sets of rules, period, its core mechanics having served as an underpinning for so many other rules that followed. The accompanying line of miniatures that GW released to go along the game were amazing, just wonderful castings. Painting these was definitely a "labour of love", and I tried my best to capture the many, many small features cast on to these stunning figures - a squiq here, a bone there...all sorts of wonderful little details - many perhaps beyond my brush skill, but I gave it my best shot. 

The goblin regiments...I wish I could secure more of these units...note the Orc in the front rank to keep an eye on the other gitz...


I love the poor smashed cart on the Giant's base...

Ready to crush some more stuff!
 

The Giant in particular is such fun to work on - many, many, many little details, like the smashed cart on the base, the poor patrons of the cart either hiding, or already stuck into the giant's belt for consumption later...what a cool figure. He should be fun to unleash in the game.

The boar riders, ready to charge home!

Gobbo charioteers - ready to rampage!

Curt and Byron, among others, have been posting some amazing 10mm fantasy work of their own during this Challenge. They have been basing their awesome figures for other games, but for me, I wanted to do plain old fun "Warmaster", so I based the figures up for the classic game - ready, one day, I hope, to take on my Empire troops on a game with my friends! 

Here are the characters that came with the Orc starter army. The Warlord is on the right, and an Orc boss is on the left.

As I said at the open of this post, the nostalgia factor on these figures is tremendous. For me, they are a connection to GW's Fantasy "Old World", still one of my favourite fantasy settings. I have a few more packs of Warmaster Orcs that I hope to paint up before this edition of the Challenge ends...after all, even with all of the Orcs you see here, this is actually a pretty compact Orc force for the game. Still, even if my brushes don't find more Orcs before Spring arrives, at least there is a force that is ready to go! 

Here is the full bunch - ready for war!

Thanks for reading, and have a great week! We are in the final stretch for the Painting Challenge, so watch for more in this space as the battle against the unpainted lead, plastic and resin continues!

4 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Very nice Greg!

Muskie said...

I always wanted to play Epic, I never wanted to play Warmaster. I never got to play either. I spent too long in school, now I have more money but little time and I paint slow. Basically I doubt I'll ever start another army maybe a skirmish force, but mainly I just paint the same army or more models for the same army...

Good work on the boyz!

Anonymous said...

Hey mate Ive just found this great little post while searching for a scheme for my own warmaster orcs and love your style, how did you do the blue for the goblins ? Cheers.
Miles.

Greg B said...

The blue in this case was a GW Contrast Paint - Leviadon Blue - painted over a base that started with black, and was then dry-brushed with light grey. Hope that is helpful!