Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Contemptor Dreadnought for the Raven Guard

Reinforcements for XIX Legion

This is a Contemptor Dreadnought for the XIX Legion in GW's Horus Heresy/30k setting.  The model is the plastic dreadnought from the "Betrayal at Calth" box set, and he has a few decals and brass etch details added on from Forge World.

The "Betrayal at Calth" box set is a gold mine of Horus Heresy bits and figures.  I was glad to have access to a plastic Contemptor Dreadnought model, as I thought it would be much easier to assemble than the resin ones from Forge World.  In the end, it was a bit of a mixed bag - certainly a lot easier to assemble, but the arrangements of the parts is very disappointing, leaving very little option to customize and give the model much motion.  As such, he looks a bit wooden (and maybe that's OK - I mean, the "pilot" is nearly dead anyway, right)?

He just wants to shake hands...

For weapons I opted for the multi-melta, to give the Raven Guard a bit of heavy stopping power, and also because multi-melta.  The other option was the assault cannon, which I admit also looks cool, but I have something else in mind down the road to assist the Raven Guard with assault-cannon-related issues.  Besides - there are already other elements of the force to handle cannon-related files. The downside is that, because of the way the model is laid out on the frames, if you want to use another weapon (i.e. not the assault cannon or multi-melta), you have some heavy carving in front of you - not impossible, but just short-sighted by GW, in my view - why not make it fully compatible with the FW weapons?

But then, why am I surprised when GW does something in a short-sighted fashion?  Anyway, it is still a decent model, and you'll have fun assembling and painting yours no doubt!

Soo...what's on that name plate?  Ummm...well....

The one detail that I had the highest hopes for is also the one detail I completely buggered up.  Some background: I really like the brass etch accessories from Forge World.  They are perfect for a little bit of customization of models just like this, adding more character than a decal alone can, but stopping short of the all-out look of the specified customized dreadnought chassis available for the different Legions.

Multi-melta - for close inspection of enemy vehicles and facilities

So I thought to make this guy look a little extra cool, I would use some brass etch Raven Guard symbols (the shoulder and knee plates), but to really set him off, I figured "I'll give him a name plate!" After all, the cool painters give their dreadnoughts funky names.

Brass etch stuff DOES really help things pop - when you don't screw up the painting
So I stuck it right below the "helmet" of the dreadnought.  I told myself that I would paint it white, which would make it really jump out, look awesome etc...anyway, I totally, totally bungled the paint job on it - to the point I can't even make out what that name was supposed to be (something "Corax", maybe...?).  In fact, it looks all scratched out in a way that resembles the odd markings seen on the vehicles and machines who follow the Warmaster...maybe this model is trying to tell me something...

An unknown soldier, due to poor painting...but otherwise very scary

Anyway, behold "Name Undetermined" - valiant warrior of the Raven Guard. No doubt an Imperial Committee will be duly appointed to decipher his actual name...likely the markings were blurred by the insipid agents of the Warmaster...

Team photo of the XIX Legion forces so far...

So after starting with a few test models last fall, my XIX Legion detachment has grown to 46 or so infantry and one dreadnought.  A decent size for an infantry force - just need to add some vehicles for these fellows now...

1 comment:

JamieM said...

very nice indeed - Contemptor Dreadnought no-name looks very ready to commit acts of space marine brutality in the emperor's name. It is a nice kit, the knees are very hard to modify, so I made do with chopping at the waist & twisting as that can help with wooden-ness.