Monday, August 10, 2026

Seventh Cavalry Dismounted Troopers and Scouts


After the slog of painting almost a dozen mounted Plains warriors it's a relief to get back to some quick work. And by that I mean models that are wearing at least some semblance of a uniform. 

I made quick work of the dismounted troopers. The whole model gets a drybrush of Dark Rubber, this takes care of the highlights on the black hats, crossbelt, cartridge belt, holster, and boots. Then uniform coats and pants are painted Kantor Blue, uniform coat is highlighted Ultramarines Blue, pants are overpainted AK Sky Blue and highlighted Vallejo Wolf Grey. Buckskins are AK Khaki washed with Agrax Earthshade. It was hot in Montana Territory in June so some of the troopers are in shirtsleeves. While the issued shirt was grey, many wore privately purchased shirts and these could have been any colour at all.

The Scouts took a bit more thinking as their apparel is a mix of uniform and Indigenous attire. Oftentimes they were given worn-out or obsolete uniform coats so that's what these three got. I painted their trousers as buckskins or brown cloth, and the "breechclouts" were done in a nice red-black tartan with Khorne Red, Mephiston Red, and Evil Sunz Red, and "Hudson's Bay Blanket" pattern on the other model.

So with these done I feel like I'm making progress towards completion. I've got about 25 Seventh Cavalry troopers and helpers now, and a dozen mounted and about the same number of dismounted Plains warriors. Ultimately I want to have 40 (or 50?) models a side so I reckon I'm about halfway there. I just primed more troopers and after that, will get to the mounted troopers and 20 or 30 more warriors on foot. I'm going to use the same skin technique I used on my ancient Germans and that should speed the process up a bit.

Hoka hey!  

No comments: