Sunday, November 3, 2013

15mm Zvezda KV-2

On a recent trip to Calgary I stopped in at the Sentry Box, probably Canada's best game store. Among an armload of stuff (mostly scenic grass tufts for basing, if truth be told) I impulse-bought one of the new Zvezda 1/100 snap kits - a WWII Russian KV-2 heavy tank.

A few days later I busted it open. The model is comprised of 12 (!) pieces which, as you can imagine, assemble very quickly.

Here's the completed model.

Comparison with an Old Glory 15mm KV-1. Same chassis and certainly very compatible in scale execution.
 
 Last night I was watching the hockey game and decided to paint the model. I'd already undercoated/basecoated with the excellent Krylon "Camo" green primer (a dead-nuts match for Russian armour olive) so I just needed to do some drybrushing and weathering, and stick the model on a Greg-approved base ;-)

The model painted up very nicely. I used GW Codex Gray to put a few chips in the paint but they may not be too visible.

Powder treatment with MIG light dust and light rust powders. Lazily, I decided to use the latter for red dirt treatment on the tracks and lower hull.

Decals were from the decal folder but only one side worked - the other side fell apart so I trashed it and painted the numbers on freehand. Can you tell which side is which?

All in all a very satisfying little model and fantastic for gaming - especially at the price - $5.50 CAD!

8 comments:

MFraser said...

Looks good. Did you dull coat it? If so, have you figured out how to stop the powder from dissolving?

Dallas said...

Thanks Mike! No Dullcote yet, but I haven't historically had tons of problems with it eating the powder...

Greg B said...

Looks great Dallas! We have to get that on to the table soon...

MFraser said...

I was using the forge world powders and found it removed about 2/3 of it. Are you using a different product? Or is it a technique thing?

Heisler said...

MiG and AK both have a product called "Fixer" that can be used to keep their powders in place.

Allison M. said...

You have to "match" WW2 Russian armor colour? I thought anything from "farm tractor green" to "mud slathered on with mops and rags" was more or less historically accurate.

Anyway, nice little kit. I should try something like this, just as nostalgia for the days when I made plastic models...

Simon Quinton said...

It looks great nice work.

Curt said...

Lovely work Dal. I'm going to have to pick up some of this Krylon 'Camo'. Looks to be the treat.