Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Forgeworld Land Raider Armoured Proteus WIP

As part of the ongoing Rogue Trader project escalation, I've been acquiring new assets for my Howling Griffons Space Marines. I'd decided awhile back that the lads needed a Land Raider (who doesn't need a Land Raider?) so the decision point was, which type? I like the new 'Raider model (MKIII) a lot (I have one in my Plague Marine army as well as one for my Black Templars) but it just doesn't really fit the RT vibe I want for the 'Griffons. The MKIIb is a great model too, but again, a little too modern-looking for the RT guys, plus I've heard it's a nightmare to assemble, even by Forge World standards. The original 'Raiders are also obtainable for a price on the secondary market, but I'm not a huge fan of those either, just a bit too tall and narrow for me. That leaves the new Forge World Proteus and Armoured Proteus variants... now you're talking. I love the Armoured Proteus' sponsons and heavy bolters so that sealed the deal. I picked one up at Salute and earlier this week, decided to build it.

First step was to separate the parts from their runners. The amount of resin used for runners was shocking! Most separated easily, though, and looking at the scrap that was left, a clever use occurred to me... can you think of what it might be? Stay tuned for a future post where all will be revealed...

Parts were duly washed with dish detergent and set out to dry. The large resin parts were still a bit greasy-feeling even after a bath, but I hoped that this would not deter the paint from adhering.

Another view of the components. After they were dry, on to assembly...

I didn't take too many "assembly" photos as the model went together in a fairly straightforward fashion. Even with the sketchy "instructions" provided with the kit, assembly was intuitive. Parts fit, on the other hand, was pretty poor in places, especially the tracks.

Fitting the tracks required trimming a track link out with my X-acto, and filling the resulting gap with greenstuff.

Fortunately the majority of fitment issues occurred on the bottom run of track and will be hidden when the model is on the table.

The top run wasn't free of defects, though, and some filling was required there too.

Some seams required a bit of filling to get them flush. Evidently a result of some minor parts warpage but unfortunately not correctable, due to the thickness of the part.

I partially primed the model as I initially thought I might paint the interior. later I thought better of this and sealed it up - the interior has no real detail anyway, unlike the MKIII's.

I also added a couple of gubbins for interest on the top hull. The "Wall-E" hooded binnacle fits perfectly on top of the heavy bolters and rotates along with them!

Some greenstuff work was required on the sponson mount at top... the kit part got lost somehow during the washing process. Grrr...

A good view of the hull-top detail.

Towing chains added to the Cullins device. I also added a strip of plasticard below the eagle to camouflage a wavy spot in the front armour.

The model after priming.

Tools of the trade. The giant clamp was required to hold the top plate onto the hull as the former was slightly warped.

The model was first basecoated with Citadel Iyanden Darksun. Added some aerials also.

Camouflage pattern added by stippling on Citadel Dark Flesh.

Then the model was washed with Citadel Devlan Mud.

Comparison with the previously painted Rhino.

Next came a drybrush with Citadel Dheneb Stone and a selective lightening of the harsher camo bits with more lightly stippled Iyanden Darksun. Tracks were painted with a mix of Citadel Boltgun Metal and Mechanicus Standard Grey from the new paint range.

Some decals came next. Numerals from a Skif T-64 kit that I converted for Futurkom...

Griffon decal from Ginfritter...

Imperial numberplate from the GW tank decal sheet.

I added some paint wear and chips with a stippling of Mechanicus Standard Grey here and there, trying to concentrate on edges and wear spots, like the sides and upper hull around the hatches. Lastly, I weathered the bejebus out of the tank with powders. Rust on the tracks and dust on the lower hull. Pinpoint washes of rust on the hull using powder diluted heavily with Tamiya acrylic thinner.

The lascannons were shortened by about 7mm, for two reasons: a) I like the stubbier look, and b) they were a bit bendy and I don't trust my abilities to permanently straighten resin parts. The guns were painted with the same mix as the tracks, highlighted with Boltgun Metal and Citadel Dwarf Bronze, and weathered with Dark Flesh drybrush at the muzzles and an allover wash of Citadel Badab Black.

There are still a few small things to do on the tank, such as painting the lenses and adding a pennant to the aerial, but I have to put another layer of Dullcote on first as my can ran out last night. I'll post some beauty shots on the blog after that's done.


Greg B said...

Great work dude, particularly on the modelling side...I am eternally surprised at the completely random quality of the Forge World products. So many lovely designs, but the components on the actual model range from flawless to horribly warped and covered in flash.

Can't wait to see that on the table...I'm sure the Eldar will blow it away by turn two...

Curt said...

Last time I saw that bit of kit was when we were in London - good times! Nice to see it safe at home and done-up in style!