Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Painting Challenge Submission 9 - WW2 German MMG Team in Winter Kit

28mm German WW2 MMG team - figures from Warlord Games.
I am continuing to work through my Winter WW2 project during Curt's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.  Having enjoyed a visit to Burch's Bluffs, I wanted to move to another stop on lovely Challenge Island (see here for more information on the Island and how it works with the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge). The Path Of The New Shiny brings me next to Mudry's Mesa. Named in honour of our very own ByronM, to safely traverse the Mesa one can paint a figure purchased after the Challenge was announced.  This was great news - my 28mm Winter WW2 project fit the bill. I could get back to my project and clear another vista on Challenge Island all at once.

My next destination...
Since there are all sorts of shifty characters traversing the Island, I thought the Mesa could use something helpful for defensive purposes. This is a 28mm German tripod-mounted MG-42 team in winter gear.  They will make great use of the nice, clear, fields of fire scenic views from Mudry's Mesa. These are metal 28mm castings from Warlord Games' "Bolt Action" range.

The deadly MG-42, ready to tear out a stream of deadly fire on its opponents...
I believe the three figures on this weapon crew were meant to be crowded together on to one larger base, and I was planning to do that at the outset...but the only way to do that, it turned out, was to have the officer right in the path of what I would assume to be a stream of empty casings flying from the MG-42. That seemed wrong to me.  I also remembered that games like "Chain of Command" will, at times, have a weapon team like this under the direction of a junior leader.  So I popped the gun commander onto a separate square base I use to mark NCOs/Junior Leaders, and left the two-man team directly with the gun on the larger round base.

Lots of great detail on these castings.

Ready for action...
As with all of the other WW2 Germans I have been painting so far from Warlord's range, these are excellent figures and were lots of fun to paint. And it was great that these figures could net me another stop on Challenge Island.  As for my next destination...well, it has to do with subjects that my painting/figure collection simply does not support right so. So I might need to summon a Balloon ride...more on that later.

Updated Challenge progress...three spots down, but I need to plot my next destination carefully...
For scoring, this crew was good for 55 points toward my goal of 1,000 points worth of painting.  And my small winter WW2 German platoon now has some scary fire support! Thanks for looking, and have a great day.

1 comment: