Saturday, January 14, 2012

Review: Vampire Counts Army Book 8th Ed.


New Vampire Counts - not exactly as depicted...
I used some gift certificates to pick up the new Vampire Counts army book. First off, $50 for an army book? Seriously? As my daughters would say, WTF? I can't wait until the new edition of 40K comes out and all the books are hard cover.
Anyways, on to the content. Anyone that owns the previous Vampire book is going to be pissed off. Other than adding a few paragraphs here and there, the majority of the bestiary text is lifted directly from the previous book. They even used most of the previous art work, though it is in "color" now. Sure, there are some new units(some of the models are actually quite nice). The only real "plus" is that GW has finally started using a decent binding, so hopefully the pages won't fall out.
I don't want to come across a GW hater, but I am starting to wonder how much longer their current "business" practices can last. All in all, I give this book a big MEH.

4 comments:

Dallas said...

Oh wow - content lifted from the last edition army book? That's lame. I also have a VC army but I'm going to try and find the new book at a discount somewhere... I found my copy of the last edition book "floating off Tortuga" so that may also be an option... ;-)

BVidler said...

I've been un-impressed with the "Hard Cover" Frenzy when everyone else is looking at E_Books...

The cost of Blood Knights boxed sets in Fine Cast is kinda scary, too.

Fortunately I have lots for my Empire army already! ;)

BVidler said...

I'm looking at e-books now and GW is going on a "Hard Cover Frenzy". Talk about out-of-touch!

Hopefully my Empire and Lizards will be the last they update...

Mike A said...

Hi Bruce! Empire is supposed to be the next book. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The Empire range is supposed to be getting a pretty good update, if rumors are to be believed.