Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Second Painting Challenge Entry - Epic 30k Sons of Horus

Horus for hope! XVI Legion marines, the Sons of Horus
My second entry to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge built on the theme from my first entry - namely, more Epic Space Marines. These 6mm troops are from the XVIth Legion, the "Sons of Horus".  Being Horus's own lads and all, these fellows played a pretty central role in the fighting in the Horus Heresy, and are among my favourite "bad guys" of that "period" (among many - let's face it, the traitor Legions were a lot cooler than the cube-headed loyalists - before they turned into Chaos dorks).

A "talon" of dreadnoughts - equipped with an assortment of heavy weapons
As with my first entry, this one includes a selection of figures scored on Ebay and some models which are not available commercially.

Legion tactical marines with their Rhino APCs
There are two 20-man tactical squads and a pair of 10-man heavy weapon squads in this submission.  Also three Contemptor-class dreadnoughts, four Rhino APCs, and two Land Raiders.

Forward for the Warmaster!
Land Raider, ready to roll
While painting the yellow on the Imperial Fists took a bit a figuring out, I've already painted quite a few Sons of Horus in 28mm, so painting these fellows goes really, really fast - there are number of other troops and tanks not included here because they were painted prior to the start of the Challenge this year - I'll put a group photo later on in the New Year.


Heavy weapon marines - missile launchers and heavy bolters
There is still a LOT of Epic 30k stuff sitting in the painting queue, but we have the basics in place for a game of Epic 30k sometime in the New Year with the Fawcett Avenue Conscripts - I will be looking forward to that!

An old-school, original version, plastic Space Marine Land Raider - fun models to paint
With 60 infantry, six vehicles and the three dreadnoughts (which I will suggest be counted, in this scale, as artillery pieces, points-wise) this submission scored me another 45 points, so I'm on my way toward my goal of 1,000 points for the Challenge, and off to a decent start on two of my side duels - one for sci-fi, and the other for 30k. 

Up next: even MORE Epic 30k - hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and has a great New Year!

1 comment:

Dallas said...

Epic in their Epicness! Great job Greg!