Friday, September 20, 2013

Some 15mm WW2 Soviet Stuff

15mm T-34s from the Plastic Soldier Company
 And now over to some more 15mm WW2 stuff - Russian WW2 stuff.  This is a mix of items, 45mm AT guns from Battlefront and T-34s from the Plastic Soldier Company.

These turrets can be switched out to make the tank into a T-34/76

While I am laughably unable to ever get the treads to connect properly, overall I find the T-34 models from Plastic Soldier Company to be easy to assemble and paint. I really like the option for the turrets. The price is very reasonable.  I got the "Battalion" deal, so I still have many, many, many more of these tanks to paint.

Six tanks painted - another 15 to go (!)


The Battlefront AT guns were not too bad to assemble - you can see I struggled with the gun shield on one of them. Crowding them on the medium Flames of War base was a little tricky but overall they turned out OK.  I was struck by the resemblance these weapons have to the early war German AT guns - but I understand these are in fact based on that design (maybe even manufactured under some kind of license or something)? At any rate, they will come in handy on the table.

Soviet WW2 AT gun battery - I think they are 45mm guns...


While I actually enjoyed our recent Flames of War game, my goal is actually to get a huge pile of this stuff done to play games of Spearhead in 15mm. Spearhead is an excellent set of division-level rules, with each base or vehicle model representing a platoon of men or vehicles, or a battery of guns. 

So I screwed up that one gun shield on the right pretty badly
I have played Spearhead for many years now using 6mm figures, but I've tried it a few times in 15mm and it is a little easier on the eyes without sacrificing too much in terms of the look vs. ground scale. I am aiming to get enough stuff painted to do some of the scenarios from the Spearhead scenario book "Where the Iron Crosses Grow".

These other ones turned out better...

The first scenario I am targeting - "The Devil's Cauldron" - has 101 pieces (either tanks or infantry stands etc) for the Russians.  I'm at 54 pieces painted so far, so almost half-way there.  Still need to add bits like heavy mortars and 76mm guns, and of course many, many more tanks and infantry stands. But in the interim, if we do another Flames of War game, the Russian side will have a growing stash of kit to build on. 

4 comments:

Chris Stoesen said...

Great looking tanks.

Lasgunpacker said...

Very nice work. As it happens PSC is having a 30% off sale on their 15mm line...

Chris said...

I love the basing on those tanks, they really give it a feel that is missed a lot of the time.

I can't wait to get back to Canada to get in more FoW games.

DeanM said...

Very nice tanks; the weathering is very well executed. I've been seeing a lot of nice Soviet stuff lately. Best, Dean