Friday, November 23, 2012
Ruined Hamlet Thoroughly Ruined
A few days ago I posted a few photos of the Bolt Action Ruined Hamlet that I'd assembled. Now it's been painted (and used in a game even!) so I thought I'd post some photos of the completed pieces and a bit of a description of how they got there. WW2 French infantry models from Crusader Miniatures will help to illustrate scale.
After assembling the pieces and filling gaps with greenstuff, the models were based on 0.060" plasticard. I bought a package of the stuff from a local hobby shop, and was shocked at the price ($20 for two sheets). Has the price of oil skyrocketed when I wasn't looking???
The Ruined Hamlet kit included a couple of extra rubble piles to place against the walls or in the corners. I used these to fill empty spaces on the bases, by sticking them together and filling the gaps as necessary.
Texture for the bases was provided with copious quantities of texture gel medium. I left some smooth spots in the middle of the buildings for painting in floors later.
The whole thing was sprayed with Krylon flat black paint.
Colour was built up with an allover heavy drybrush of Citadel Mechanicus Standard Grey, followed with Fortress Grey. The plaster bits and lintel stones were drybrushed with Citadel Dheneb Stone.
The wooden roof beams and floors were basecoated with Citadel Scorched Brown and highlighted with Calthan Brown. On the main level floors I painted striped of Calthan over the Scorched Brown to represent wooden floorboards. The wood was drybrushed grey and black scorch marks applied with a large stippling brush. On the floors I went over the scorch marks with stippled Mechanicus Standard Grey.
Some black scorch marks applied to the walls and voila, one Ruined Hamlet reporting for duty!