Monday, July 29, 2024

Some 30k in the 6ix

It would seem that posting on the blog, like so many things in life, is very easy to get lazy about! I have been continuously saying "oh, I need to get some pics up on the blog, but, I'll do it later because [INSERT EXCUSE]". The excuse has varied - there has been travel, and work has been very, very busy. Then there is the lovely summer weather, which has pulled me get outside as often as I can spare it...a person-not-posting tends to remain a person-not-posting...need to break that cycle, as I actually have been hobbying! Gaming even! 

The Sons of Horus in action against a detachment of Ultramarines, supported by an allied detachment of Blood Angels.

An Assault Squad from my XVI Legion gets ready to, er, jump into action...

I moved to Toronto full-time in February, and over the past few months I have been fortunate to connect with a thriving local gaming community, which includes some passionate 30k players. It has been great to play some 30k! I have even managed to participate in a day-long narrative 30k tournament, which was excellent, even with the Nurgle-levels of humidity in the facility...any way, to shake off the blog-posting-slumber, I thought it would be good to post a few pics of some of the 30k games I have had the chance to enjoy in the past couple of months. 

A XVI Legion Moritat confronts an Ultramarine lander speeder squadron. 

These games have all been great fun, and it has been a blast to get the Sons of Horus into some action on the table. Playing in a narrative-driven tournament was a particularly excellent experience.

Elite IX Legion assault troops confront one of my Contemptor dreadnoughts...good punching was had by all! But mostly by the dreadnought...

The Blood Angels have some pesky assault troops! Fortunately the Tactical Support Squad was ready at hand - Volkite Calivers solve lots of problems!

My XVI Legion Spartan confronts an armored group of Ultramarines. An Iron Hands Deredeo-class dreadnought supports them on the hill (and was very, very annoying).

There are a number of tournament-style events are scheduled in the GTA this fall, although prior travel commitments and vacation will make attendance a bit dicey, so we'll have to see about those. But I'm sure we'll manage more friendly weekend battles here and there into the coming fall. 

Is that a Bluetooth speaker built into a custom mount on a Land Raider? Is that speaker blasting out heavy metal tunes during the game? Yes, and yes! Some tremendous hobbyists in the GTA!

In one of the games our Legion was joined by some survivors from a local garrison. In a bid to ensure "inclusiveness", my Praetor let them take the lead on one of the flanks! Isn't that nice?

Did I learn anything from the gaming? Well, I can confirm that the new "Age of Darkness" 30k game is great fun. I can further confirm that including a Moritat in your force is guaranteed to bring hilarious results (the single model shoots like 24 times in the right circumstances, and is a hilarious one-man wrecking crew). Finally, I would note that the rules-writers must have been overcome with sympathy for the Iron Hands, because those @#$@#$ing clowns are all but un-killable, and make even the tiresome Iron Warrior Terminators seem reasonable. You are basically reduced to trash talk when confronting them - "The Iron Hands are missing one thing - a Primarch!". 

A VII Legion task force bolstered by Imperial militia! The Baneblade is quite the beast on the gaming table!

Heavy armored presence in this Imperial Fists force!

We cam equipped for the job! "Hope" deploys to sweep the table clean of "pro-Emperor" terrorists! It's even backed by a heavy support squad!

The dice were not with us! Here you see the remnants of what had started out as a 20-man tactical squad! At least the Moritat got in there and shot everyone...

That's all for now - thanks for reading, and I hope I can get off my lazy @ss and get a few more posts about stuff I have been painting this summer...

3 comments:

Dallas said...

Great stuff here dude, love those propaganda photos! I can only hope that reference was made to "Ferrus M. Anus" in your discussions with the Iron Hands players!

Dallas said...

Also, I had to look up what the heck "6ix" means :-)

Tom L said...

Looks like some fun battles. Loved the built in speaker for gaming.