Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon

So in the aftermath of the recent disastrous outing for the Skaven against Conscript Mike's Bretonnians, I decided to put the Warp Lightning Cannon on a base to match the other war machines in the army. This wasn't as straightforward as it sounds though, because the second-hand cannon in my collection was missing one of its crew, and THIS. WOULD. NOT. DO. 

So off to ebay I went to find the missing crewman, he's in the photo above. Of course no-one was selling a single crew model so I had to buy the pair at an exorbitant price... having said this, if you have a Warp Lightning Cannon missing the left-hand side crewman I will make you a good deal.

The other fun thing I did was put a little cat vs. rat vignette on the diorama base. The models are nominally 1/48 scale 3D prints from Green Stuff World that come in 25-rat or 15-cat packages for about $6USD. I got mine at Games Plus on my recent trip to Chicago. They're great little models but it's too bad the rats aren't a smidge bigger - they really are regular rat size for the scale.


Of course I have two grey cats so I painted this one as "Gilles", the male. This probably explains (ex-post-facto) the sub-par outing against the Bretonnians as Gilles was obviously a Bretonnian saboteur!

I based the Skavenslave crew on 20mm square bases, mainly because that was the way the kit was originally designed... I'd intended to put the slaves right on the cannon base but they needed the extra height of the slottabase for the cast-on poles to fit into their mount on the cannon body.

Anyway that was a fun little project, hopefully Warhammer; The Old World will come along soon to reinvigorate interest in fantasy battles!   

ps Now that I'm looking at the pics I might actually paint some more tiny rats for the base :-)


No comments: