Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Minotaurs Vehicles

 I'm almost done the Minotaurs! I only have 2 special characters left and then that's it! I finished the summer off by painting the last vehicles for the chapter. This includes the Land Raider Crusader! You'll notice the side sponson weapons are quite a bit different from the standard Land Raider (or any land raider). As I mentioned before, this army is a repaint, including the Land Raider. The original crusader side sponsons were originally multi-part metal hurricane bolters. Each included about 8 pieces that no longer seemed to fit together. As I struggled with it, I had flash backs to 15+ years ago trying to assemble them. I had forgotten what a pain in the ass they were. I had no interest in trying, so looked online to see if I could buy the new plastic sponsons. That was too expensive to justify, so I turned to my bits collection. I managed to find two rotary cannons from Kromlech that would work as an equivalent to the hurricane bolters. I figured they looked like they were low strength, but had lots of shots, so work well as a proxy. To mount them, I flipped the metal bracket for the bolters around and clipped off one end. With the help of some green stuff I then managed to set the guns on the brackets convincingly enough. It really pays to keep old crap around for years until the right project presents itself.

This was really boring to paint. Combining the worst aspects of miniature and terrain painting!


Rhino rehab #2



Quite the beast!

Kromlech cannon


Thanks for visiting!


5 comments:

Neil Scott said...

The land raider looks great, especially the new kromlech guns

John Tailby said...

Very nice.

Greg B said...

Great work Mike - way to stick with the Land Raider...I probably would have binned the thing. The Kromlech weapons look excellent, well done all around.

PS - I have the same view regarding drop pods...

Bill said...

I think the Kromlech guns are a huge improvement, I'd happily call this my favorite Land Raider I've ever seen.

Dallas said...

Love those Kromlech guns. Nice job on the vehicles dude.