I started off with a good plan (The madness begins again...) and then like any plan, it started falling apart right away. Oh well.
Entry #1 - 15mm Sherman Tanks (30 Points)
I started off the challenge with a really quick 1 day (3 hour) paint job on 5 plastic soldier company Sherman tanks for a quick 30 points. The tanks were really fast as I did some base highlighting on the primer level (airbrushed on black and white primer to pre-shade) and then a few thin coats of glaze consistency green through the airbrush.
I then only had to touch up details like the tracks, guns, and ports, and then use some pigment powders to weather them, and done. Quick and dirty, but think they came out pretty well for the time spent.
Nostalgia' from ByronM - Eldar Farseer
This was a theme week entry for Nostalgia and I figured what better thing to do than something from my first 40k army. Well, ok, maybe there was something better out there, but I couldn't think of anything so this is what I did!
The first Eldar army I did (I painted several over the last almost 20 years) was the Ulthwe colour scheme which is a simple black and bone scheme to show that they come from a world with very few living souls left. Black is always hard to pull off and have any depth showing so I actually painted the whole model a neutral grey and then layered in black ink in glaze coats. I still had to go back and add some hard edge highlights on the staff as the glaze method would not work on the really hard corners, but I think it worked out ok on the rest of the model.
The gems were easy to get back to as well, since I had painted hundreds of them using a very simple 5 colour method from an old Eldar book, that I expanded to 7 colours. After painting probably 1000 of them over the years I played Eldar, it was like riding a bike doing them again.
Entry #3 - French WW1 rifle sections (95 points)
My third entry was an expansion to my World War 1 project to add some colour to the table. This meant adding some really nice French early war figures from Renegade miniatures to my collection.
They were base coated with the airbrush and then the horizon blue was layered on with the airbrush as well. I then moved into detail work to finish up. I know many of our club have an aversion to airbrushes (looks at Greg!) but really, they make life so much easier for this mass kind of work. The layers go on faster and more evenly than what I can do by hand, and it makes the job so much quicker. Now if only I could do the super fine work that people like Angel Giraldez do with an airbrush!
Anyway, once the blue was done, it was onto some details and faces and then base work.
I did the bases in my normal WW1 mud style but added a bunch of yellow and brown vegetation to show the effect of the gas being used in the area and to keep them different looking than my Canadians and Germans.
Entry #4 - Spectre 28mm Modern African Militia (100 points)
My latest submission was a group of modern militia that was a blast to paint. Since there were so many different sculpts and each had a ton of character it was hard not to deep dive into the details. I tried to keep each one different in colour but limited the overall details to the basics. After all, a ton of these are needed for a game, yet each one is essentially cannon fodder. I think points wise for a game I need about 40 of these, and only 4-6 professional or elite soldiers, so the time these guys can expect to survive on the battlefield is pretty close to 0.
I did have fun painting a NWA shirt, various hightop runners, baseball caps, and some bright coloured Crocs.
I especially had fun with things like people wearing khaki shirts or pants, but then putting on bright colour shorts of shirts, afterall anyone who thinks holding the gun sideways helps with aim would obviously also believe that baby blue is a good camo colour, right?
Overall so far...
In the last few years I have come to the conclusion that if I want to get things done I really can not try to paint every figure as a character, I need to paint more to a tabletop level. That means doing a bit more of a basic level for most troops instead of worrying about doing 3-5 layers in each colour and trying to treat each figure as a character.
The overall table top effect remains the pretty much the same, but it still feels kind of like cheating as these were not done to a high standard, and they kind of fall apart close up, but from table top level they look pretty good.
I still do some character figures trying to get as much detail as possible, but in general am trying a more "table top effect style" look than a painting competition style painting. I always marvel at how fast Dallas and Greg can get amazing looking armies done and am just starting to figure out that the trick is Don't try to paint everything as if it was going into a competition or to be looked at close up, paint it to be seen from the table top.... not something I am good at.
So, almost 4 weeks into the challenge and only 280 points done, which is a bit behind where I should be since it is only 3 months long this year. I do have several things in the queue almost done though, so I should be ok. Here is a sneak peak...
Oh, and I will try to be better about posting updates here in the future.